5 Signs You Need to Visit an Emergency Dentist
1. Blow to the mouth — A fall or a blow to the mouth can result in chipped, broken or missing teeth. If you’ve suffered a blow to the mouth, you’ll need to see an emergency dentist immediately, especially if your mouth is bleeding or if one or more teeth have become dislodged.
In the meantime: Rinse your mouth out with water and apply gauze to any areas that are bleeding. If a tooth has fallen out, place it in a glass of milk and bring it with you to the dentist.
2. Throbbing molar — A strong, sudden pain in any of your teeth is usually a bad sign. In your molar, it could mean that you have an infection. You’ll need to visit your emergency dentist right away to get to the root of the problem.
In the meantime: Brush and floss to remove any food particles that might be the source of the pain and apply ice to the area.
3. Lost retainer — Retainers need to be kept inside the mouth 24 hours a day to be effective. If you’ve lost a retainer, you’ll need to see an emergency dentist in Calgary right away or your treatment could be compromised.
In the meantime: Try to retrace your steps and with any luck you’ll find it.
4. Severe pain — Severe and constant pain in your teeth is a sign that something is wrong. You’ll need to see an emergency dentist without delay, especially if the pain gets worse.
In the meantime: Take over-the-counter pain medication to reduce the pain and swelling until you can visit our SE Calgary dental office. Only apply ice to the area if the pain is due to trauma as reducing blood flow may make it more difficult to fight a potential infection.
5. Swelling — Swelling of the gums or face accompanied by pain in the mouth could point to a tooth, bone or gum infection, all of which are serious conditions that require emergency dental care.
In the meantime: Apply ice to the area and drink plenty of fluids on your way to a trusted dental clinic in SE Calgary like Sundance Dental.
If you lose a filling, a crown, a tooth or are suffering from sudden unexplained pain in your mouth, don’t delay, come to Sundance Dental right away. Sundance Dental is Calgary’s choice for general, family and emergency dental treatment. Call us today for more information or to make an appointment.